In 1927, wetlands at the west end of Alameda Island on the east shore of San Francisco Bay were filled to form an airport with an east/west runway, three hangars, an administration building, and a yacht harbor. The airport site included the Alameda Terminal of the First Transcontinental Railroad (California Historical Landmark #440). By 1930, United States Army Air Corps operations referred to the site as Benton Field.  Alameda remained an important naval base through the Cold War. From 1949 to 1953, the Navy based the Lockheed R6V Constitution—the largest airplane ever listed on the Navy inventory—at NAS Alameda.


After the base closed on 25 April 1997, the USS Hornet (CV-12) was given to the former air station to be used as a museum ship, the USS Hornet Museum.



Since 2000, the City of Alameda has been planning the redevelopment of the former Naval Air Station, now known as Alameda Point.